Teen Suicide Warning Signs
By knowing the warning signs of teen suicide, it is possible to prevent someone from committing suicide. In teenagers, it is more difficult to recognize the signs because a lot of parents mistakenly dismiss depression as "growing pains." Simply initiating a conversation about your teenager's feelings can give them the opportunity to discuss what is going on in their lives. One of the most noticeable warning signs that a teenager may be contemplating suicide is a change in attitude such as withdrawing from friends and family or loss of interest in activities. If your teenager vocalizes their desire to commit suicide, they should be taken seriously and treatment should be sought.
- Four out of five teenagers who have attempted suicide gave clear warning signs prior to doing it.
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death in people ages 15-24 years old.
- Giving away cherished possessions or promising them to others is a warning sign.
- By talking with your teenager, you are assuring them that someone cares and is able to help them.
- Fortunately, suicide can be prevented. This OrganizedWisdom quiz can help you identify the warning signs.