Risks of Ingesting Vicks VapoRub

Vicks VapoRub contains 5% camphor, a substance that can be dangerous if swallowed. Less than two tablespoons of camphor can result in extreme neurological effects, and may even risk death. Camphor smells good, and makes the Vicks VapoRub feel warm when applied, but it is a dangerous poison when ingested.

Fast Facts:

  • Contact Poison Control immediately if you or your child ingests Vicks VapoRub.
  • To prevent ingestion through the nasal passageway, do not apply Vicks VapoRub to the inside of your nose.
  • Children under two years of age should not use Vicks Vapo Rub.
  • For safe use and effective results, use Vicks VapoRub only according to directions.

Advertisement