Jonathan Winters and Bipolar Disorder
Jonathan Winters is a stand-up comedian and actor known to have bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression). In the late 1950s, Winters suffered from an emotional breakdown and was admitted to a mental hospital. While he received no diagnosis on this occasion, later in life he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
- During his career, Winters made obscure references to his experience in the mental institution as part of his comic routine.
- The mental breakdown caused him to reevaluate his life and spend more time with his family.
- Some of his most famous acting roles were playing as the character Mearth in the TV show Mork and Mindy and Lennie Pike in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
- Johnathan Winters was one of Robin Williams' great influences.
- Many celebrities have lived with mental illness, see our slideshow on celebrities with mental illness for more.