Research shows that acupressure may be effective in the treatment of insomnia for patients of all ages. Acupressure may be performed by a trained specialist, partner, or alone. As an alternative treatment option, it is based on Oriental approaches of continuous life energy flow (chi). Neiguan, Shenmen, Anmien, and Shimien are acupressure points that may help alleviate insomnia. Insomnia may be caused by an underlying condition; consult a health care professional if symptoms persist.
- Stress, anxiety, fear, physical pain, and stimulants may be contributing causes to insomnia.
- Neiguan is the "Inner Gate" and the primary point used in acupressure. It relaxes the mind and calms the spirit.
- Shenmen is called the "Spirit Gate" and helps with the heart meridian preventing disharmony.
- Anmien or "Peaceful Sleep" is the point for the treatment of insomnia.
- Shimien is called the "Insomnia" point. It is suggested this point should be used last to help bring extra energy to the feet.