Famous Writers and Artists with Bipolar Disorder
A bipolar disorder is defined as a disabling pattern of emotional highs followed by emotional lows. Many deceased artists and writers are believed to have had bipolar disorders. These assumptions are based on the evidence of their works. These could include biographical works, behavioral accounts from friends or family, or moods revealed in art.
- Because so many artists and writers are thought to have had bipolar disorders, some people believe that the disorder is associated with artistic genius.
- Writers with bipolar disorder: Charles Baudelaire, Lord Byron, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Ernest Hemingway.
- Musicians with bipolar disorder: Kurt Cobain, Ray Davies, Stephen Foster, Charley Pride, and Axl Rose.
- Artists with bipolar disorder: Edvard Munch, Hermann Hesse, Georgia O'Keeffe, and Vincent van Gogh.
- You can get more information about what it is like to live with bipolar disorder direct from psychiatrists.