Alvimopan, also sold under the brand name Entereg, is a peripherally acting mu-opioid receptor (PAMOR) which is designed to block the negative effects of opioids in the gastro-intestinal (GI) system. It is used for post surgery treatment for patients to avoid postoperative ileus (POI) which is impairment in bowel motility usually after abdominal surgery. The drug works by accelerating the gastrointestinal recovery period therefore preventing POI.
- U.S. Food And Drug Administration (FDA) approval on May 20, 2008
- Does not cross the blood-brain barrier to the central nervous system (CNS)
- Hospital use only - No more than 15 doses
- Not approved for pediatric use
- Common side effects: constipation, low blood calcium levels, anemia, dyspepsia (heartburn), flatulence (excess bowel gas) and diarrhea